martedì 17 settembre 2013

Another step ... Saverio Malaspina


July 10: Saverio Malaspina

In order to make the disc most rich of shades and colors I and Rox we have thought to use three different drummers alternated depending on the songs. For me the rhythmic aspect is very important and since the songs are quite different from one from the other this idea seemed to me particularly apt.
To kick off the records then we convened the first of drummers chosen: Saverio Malaspina. Saverio is known in the lap of the Italian rock for being the drummer of Meganoidi, popular indie band active for many years. Playing rock music Saverio has honed his drumming because he originally came from jazz. My choice fell on him because of this magical mixture of power and finesse that characterizes it.
With Saverio on July 10 we recorded four pieces and the result was exceptional, above all my expectations. Saverio has combining his great jazz influences with rock putting a ton of passion on my compositions. I saw him struggling with really complicated moments, the hardest things I've ever written, topped with calm, cool, and great technical skills. A true professional who knew how to instill in my music the right heat and power. Heart and brain. The sounds that Rox has wisely pulled out of the recording were something special. The  drums, even without the effects of mixing, sounds literally devastating.
What a beauty and emotion then begin to feel the pieces birth to their real life! After months of listening to the demo now that the real musical instruments come to give true life to the songs. Musical instruments that follow what I have shown in the demo but also make a great deal more, liven up the piece and infuse into it the humanity of the musician. I have provided the track on which to start, the talented instrumentalist adds his heart to create an amalgam that will make it all "real".
Key moments for me are those in which a piece, which until then had been conceived in a certain way, changes depending on the input of the moment that the musician is sending me. For example trying the drum sounds Saverio started with a fast tempo and syncopation that made me come up with a variation that we have included in "La certezza impossibile", where the time originally moved on a 4/4 for slow entire duration. The fastest time went to enrich a point of the song which is now much more lively and moved with respect to the continuous initial rhythm, then in the end go back to the start time and all ends in glory, as I love to do. There were then a rhythmic pattern really abstruse on " La quarta vitttima" studied line by line and made ​​it different from what I had thought but also with much more impact, and the time of rocky "L'interno di un volto", where Saverio has pulled out all his wilder side. To conclude the whole crescendo of "Una sera d'inverno" where Rox has enjoyed to put a special effect on the drums with an original sound that went on to merge with another drum pattern, this time played by the instrument without any special effects. In short, as I expected were two days of great and inspiring ideas. Exactly what I wanted.

Finished working with Saverio were time for the second drummer.

A small excerpt from the performance of Saverio, unfortunately I have not had the chance to film him while he played but here you can hear the result already done and finished on "La quarta vittima"


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento